Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Do you have a PET PASSPORT?

Pet Passport. You read it correctly.

Members of the European Union (EU) have the Blue Pet Passport complete with the pet’s health records and even a photo. This passport can only be issued by a veterinarian inside the EU.

For those pet whose destinations are worldly, we do recommend creating a "pet passport" to facilitate travel. For openers it keeps everything organized: health certificate, proof of immunization, medical records, pictures, dietary restrictions and such. We also like including all micro chipping information and a good set of pictures and valid statistics, ie, colors, markings, height, weight, and any other identifying information.

If traveling abroad make sure you acquaint yourself with the requirements of the country you are traveling to. For example, if you are traveling from the USA to an EU country, your pet passport must include EU Form 998 for the country you will be visiting (yes... they are different forms for now, and they working toward standardization for the future). Your 998 and your country specific forms must be completed by your vet and certified by the State USDA veterinarian. Inoculation records get attached to the 998. This is a time consuming process and you should allow yourself no less than 6 weeks to get it done correctly.

For some countries like the United Kingdom ,Norway or Sweden, the passport will also need to include the results of your pet’s blood titer test (shows immunity to specific diseases) and the Ticks & Tapeworms treatment form and import permit (if applicable).

Consulting with a consular officer for the country your pet is traveling to is a must to make sure all your paperwork is in order and your pet passport is complete and accurate because each country has their own rules and specific documentation needed.

Some countries even require a quarantine period. You can avoid or minimize quarantine by familiarizing yourself with the rules of the country you are traveling to and having a complete and accurate pet passport for the country you are visiting.

Start your research here: The Pet Travel Store website. Their immigration page - - provides information and rules for pet travel to nearly 100 countries around the world. The site also includes lists of required forms But make sure you also contact a consular office and verify all your information.

While you are at the vet, get your pet's prescriptions refilled and have your vet give you written specific prescription information, because without it, your meds might never leave the airport security screening area.

I can see some of my readers rolling their eyes at this post. But, pet travel is becoming more and more common place and who knows, you might be taking your four legged to a fab vacation, so knowledge is power and be prepared .... :)

And even if you never leave the states.... PET PASSPORTS are a great way to keep info organized, updated and accurate in case of emergencies. Yes... like hurricanes, tornadoes, fires etc.. and keep in mind that when traveling anywhere you should have your vet records with you because without them... most vets are reluctant to treat your pet.

I want a new cover on my passport. I want it in pink.... mommmmmmmmaaaaa


No comments: