Wednesday, April 29, 2009
a pillow fort... Makes a great napping place. It is cool, dark and quiet and, unless some fool tries to sit on you, it is a perfect hiding place. And the bonus point: when you wake up and jump out , you scare the daylights out of momma!
'vie and JD
The last few days it has been hot, very very hot. Summer like hot. Yesterday after our walk we we all panting and just "HOOOOOOT". We got our paws wiped with a wet cool towel, we got fresh water, but we were still hot.
Momma got this weird look in her face and she said "I know what to do!" . What to do about what?
She got a bunch of ice cubes, put them in the food processor and she poured chicken stock in it. Pushed a button and made a lot of noise, and in under 2 minutes, she was serving us a fab treat! Chicken stock granitas! How cool is that? And it was coooooooooooling! It was also yummy and Wendy and I loved it! JD's was veggie stock. He can't eat chicken. He loved his [and I did too...but don't tell].
Well as the story goes, momma gave us our granitas, we immediately went crazy , she went to get her camera and 14 licks or so later... there was nothing to photograph.
[duhhh...] But we were basking in post granita chill.
Oh yes, c'est la vie!
Maybe we can do this again?
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Monday, April 27, 2009
OMG girl!!!! Wayyyy to go!!!
And you all thought I was joking about Tootsie needing an entourage!
Dahrling you will save a pawgraphed copy for moi?
After all, I knew you were a star long before the rest of the world!!
And for those of you who think of rescued dogs as "lesser" dogs... a big fat razzzberry!!!
Proud to be a White Cottage Graduate
Where stars are made!
Scientists Create Fluorescent Puppy
posted: 1 DAY 16 HOURS AGO
Bioengineering is going to the dogs.
A team of South Korean scientists has
created the world’s first fluorescent puppy, according to New Scientist
normal light, Ruppy looks like any other beagle puppy. In ultraviolet light, she
glows red. She's the first transgenic puppy, meaning she was created with some
genetic material from another creature -- in this case, cloned cells that
include a red fluorescent gene sea anemones produce. Researchers from the Seoul
National University in South Korea released the photos this week.
I am not really sure what to say about this. It was cute when they did it with... fish bait... you know... worms... but dogs????
I may be just a dog, but I know that here someone needs to apply BIO-ETHICS. Yes, look it up folks. BIO-ETHICS. And don't give me that line about medical research either. Frankly, they will use it again when they make YOUR baby glow in the dark!
Never thought I was say this. I am so glad I was made the old fashion way... and no I do not glow in the dark!
Turn that light off now.
P.S. one more thing! My Dowi taught this: "Just 'cause you can, doesn't mean you should!"
Friday, April 24, 2009
And daddy... ehmmm we have to go back. I did not see the baby horses on this trip.
And, the ice cream shop was closed. Just saying. ok?
Taking a quick nap, must recharge.
Your roving blogger
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Honey Bees -
- There are three types of bees in the hive – Queen, Worker and Drone.
- The queen may lay 600-800 or even 1,500 eggs each day during her 3 or 4 year lifetime. This daily egg production may equal her own weight. She is constantly fed and groomed by attendant worker bees.
- Honey bees fly at 15 miles per hour.
- Honey bees' wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, thus making their distinctive buzz.
- Honeybees are the only insect that produce food for humans.
- Honeybees will usually travel approximately 3 miles from their hive.
- Honeybees are the only bees that die after they sting.
- Honeybees are responsible for pollinating approx 80% of all fruit, vegetable and seed crops in the U.S.
- Honeybees have five eyes, 3 small ones on top of the head and two big ones in front. They also have hair on their eyes!
- Bees communicate with each other by dancing and by using pheromones (scents).
- Honeybees never sleep!
- Honey is 80% sugars and 20% water.
- To make one pound of honey, the bees in the colony must visit 2 million flowers, fly over 55,000 miles and will be the lifetime work of approximately 300 bees.
- A single honeybee will only produce approximately 1/12 teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
- A single honey bee will visit 50-100 flowers on a single trip out of the hive.
- Bees produce honey as food stores for the hive during the long months of winter when flowers aren't blooming and therefore little or no nectar is available to them.
- Honey is the ONLY food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water.
- A typical beehive can make up to 400 pounds of honey per year.
- Honey never spoils.
- It would take about 1 ounce of honey to fuel a honeybee's flight around the world.
- Flowers and other blossoming plants have nectarines that produce sugary nectar. Worker bees suck up the nectar and water and store it in a special honey stomach. When the stomach is full the bee returns to the hive and puts the nectar in an empty honeycomb. Natural chemicals from the bee's head glands and the evaporation of the water from the nectar change the nectar into honey.
- Out of 20,000 species of bees, only 4 make honey.
- Although Utah enjoys the title "The Beehive State," the top honey-producing states include California, Florida, and South Dakota.
- A populous colony may contain 40,000 to 60,000 bees during the late spring or early summer.
- A honeycomb cell has six sides.
- Bees maintain a temperature of 92-93 degrees Fahrenheit in their central brood nest regardless of whether the outside temperature is 110 or -40 degrees.
The slowwwww, tedious process of bee eviction and relocation.....
(Note: The pics only last 2 minutes -- I just love the song so much I couldn't cut it off !!!! And you can listen while you learn about bees. )
Try 6 hours of that! And momma would not come out of her corner! Really!
BUT they are goneeeeeeee Yippy!!!!!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
When this happens who are you going to call??? It is illegal to kill bees, so....
You call the Tidewater Bee Keeping Association! We need to preserve the bees! Momma is cowering in the corner [she is allergic to bees....] and we are taking a movie of how they remove them. It is the new bee relocation program! EEEEEEEWWWW...
They are inside the gazebo... outside the gazebo... all over the deck.... Oh my!
so where is the honey???
Sunday, April 19, 2009
all the tabloids will be reporting this...
so I have no choice...
while a certain girl.. [ehmmm no name mentioned]
was being courted, chased... whatever you choose to call it these days
by a certain someone...
the camera caught it all!
[Dahrling... a pretty dress is not the way to go incognito... I loved your dress BTW, mine lay on the sofa... I was not going to wear clothes no matter what momma said.]
there was a semi interesting public de-squeaking and destuffing...but who am I to judge???
K9news chanel Station WOOF
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
That was Wesley. Friend, companion, welcoming committee, and we all miss him already.
Auntie Robin we fixed the rain! It is gone and the sun will be out for the rest of the weekend. Now let's work on that sun getting nice and hot and drying up the wet stuff. Mhh. Wonder if there is a sun dance... Must look that up.
On other news... Congrats Ashton K! WE WON!!!! Mr Demi Moore you beat CNN! And that is how we roll! Bottom line is, it is all about the WEB. Sometimes I am so grateful for my puter! And, Ashton K nice work with the malaria awarness, now could you or somebody pick up the clue phone and start on a national no puppy mill legislation??? Pleaaaaaase???
Ashton K... I supported your cause... I am just saying.... You know what I mean?
Well I am off to getting beutified. Yes you read it right. Groomer and all, I even have new perfume. I have date[s] tomorrow, tomorrow is THE BASHHHHHHH!!!!!!! No pics today, but I promise you lots and lots of pics from the BASH!
HEY DOWIIIII you are coming over right? Phil you too??? CU All LTR!!
[who said beauty was easy!]
PS YES I AM on Twitter! Duhhhh
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
MUSIC, WHEN SOFT VOICES DIE
Music, when soft voices die,
Vibrates in the memory.
Odours, when sweet violets sicken,
Live within the sense they quicken.
Rose leaves, when the rose is dead,
Are heaped for the beloved’s bed;
And so thy thoughts, when thou art gone,
Love itself shall slumber on.
Percy Bysshe Shelley.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wesley you are now free of pain, free to do your chicken sounds, we miss you and we love you still and we will honor your memory, always.
'vie, JD, Wendy and family and all White Cottage Graduates
Strange dirty birds are "bathing" on the pool cover. Ick that water is dirty! Dirty birds stay dirty!
Wait a minute...
That looks way more fun than going to the groomer.
Mommaaaaa, I will bathe myself, cancel my grooming appointment! Save your money, I will
bathe on my own, I promise! And JD an Wendy can join me too!!!
clean on my terms?
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
1. Never do a rain dance on a hill.
2. Make sure you have a lot of room so you
don't run into anything.
3. Spin around in clockwise circles.
4. Make up your own rain chant. It should be rythmical
and easy to say fast.
5. Yell your rain chant while spinning around in circles.
6. If you are trying to get rid of rain, spin in
counterclockwise circles and say your chant backwards.
AHA! Rain play nice or tomorrow we start dancing backwards! As far as the chant... I have something in mind...
Rain rain go away
come back another day,
We need dry dry dry
to go walking and sniffing by
for the Bash to be fun
you need to send out the sun
so we can play and run
on grass not ..................... muuud!!
Can the wind blow away
all the pollen and hay?
Make the sneezing stop
make the itchies drop
We want one perfect day,
can we order that for this Saturday???
We have things lined up
the rain must stop!
friends to meet
new people to greet
and we hear there are TREATS
so please... rain... retreat?
We make you an offer you can't refuse:
Go away this week -we have no use
Come back next week and stay
all night long and then rain all day
We won't whine, we won't complain
We will just say
welcome spring rain
come down and stay.
But for now... please, GO AWAY!!!!