This was recently forwarded to us. This is not one of our cats here at Popcorn Park, but it's very important to read and share this information with all pet owners. Thanks.
"OK, folks . . . this picture is going to be a bit disturbing, but I think the word needs to get out there. This is our "office kitty," Dewey. He knocked over a cinnamon reed diffuser (you know, those things with liquid and sticks in them ...to make the room smell good). He was washed up quickly, and we thought he was OK. Turns out he was NOT.
Dewey has chemical burns over a good portion of his belly and hind legs from the liquid in the reed diffuser. He spent five days at the vet having his wounds debrided. They had to put him under anesthesia to do this, because it would have been too painful otherwise. This is what some of his wounds look like after he was treated at the vet -- there is more on his belly and on his other leg, and this actually looks GOOD compared to what it looked like when he was taken to the vet. The burns did not show up for about a week or two, and we thought he was OK and was just "stained" from the liquid. That was not the case. Dewey will be OK, in time. BUT, what if this had been a CHILD? What if those chemicals had spilled on a child's face or in their eyes? You wouldn't think the "stuff" in a reed diffuser would cause such horrific burns, but obviously this one did.
WARNING PLEASE REPOST
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/reeddiffuser.asp TRUE more details here