I am not going to play the poverty is chic game. It is not. I am what I am and I will not apologize for my need for luxury.
What can I say? I am a BICHON, not a working dog, not a low maintenance dog.
I was however taken by the idea that occasionally, being high maintenance comes at a cost other than cash, so I have compiled a list of acceptable offerings, for your pooch.
1. Great grooming is always better than a cheap rag outfit. So.... skip the polyethyline rag and instead invest in a great organic shampoo that moisturizes and conditions. It is winter you know, dry skin is itchy! Besides, putting an itchy rag on your dog only serves to amuse you....It is the season of giving, give in and give your dog something wonderful!
2. Give your dog the gift of time. Yuh, time. Special time. Undivided attention and unconditional love for say... an hour? Give your four legged that belly rub that you have been teasing him or her with. That does mean no TV, NO PHONE, NO DISTRACTIONS!
3. Really, a great walk is better than any cheap toy that comes from that plastic palace. I swear it! Check the weather, if it is doable, grab that leash and let's go! Let me sniff, let me mark and let me WALK!
4. The snuggle. Ahhh the snuggle. I am such a fan of the snuggle that I lose my mind anytime I realize that one of my two leggeds is in a snuggle position and affording me a snuggle opportunity! Seriously, nothing is as grand as falling asleep in my two legged's arms. Or cuddled next to them. It is BONDING TIME!
5. Let's revisit my water bowl and dishes. I really don't care if Le Creuset makes them. The real issue for me is one of safety. Are they lead free? PBA free? Are they clean and cleanable? I don't want oral cancer, so, please shop judiciously. I would rather have a plain- people grade bowl than some chotchka with some cutsie pooh saying... that might be contaminated or worse...radioactive and deadly.
6. My collar. NO. I am a small dog. Let's stick to a good make, well fitted harness. I want to be able to swallow and not have any damage to my trachea. Got it?
7. Forget the green treats. Opt for veggies and fruits. I am worth it. I swear.
8. If you want fresh kisses... brush my teeth.
9. Do not expose me to unhealthy environments. Keep the tinsel out of reach, keep the the lights, safely away, keep the chocolate to yourself and keep weird uncle Vlad away from me. I don't want to try on his denture.
10. LOVE ME. Just love me.
Now those are 10 ideas I can live with and love.