Monday, June 15, 2009

Fruits and safety issues for DOGS

Hmmm. We got a few private emails expressing concern for my safety. Some people thought that fruitsicles are poison to 4 leggeds. But honestly they are wrong. Here is a reliable resource what is safe for your pet: Welcome to
The article reads:

Prevent Poisonings

Have you taken inventory of your medicine cabinets lately? Are you properly storing lawn and garden pesticide containers? When you tidy up around the house, do you put food, liquor and tobacco products safely out of harm's way? These precautions are second nature to households with children, but homes with animals must be just as secure.

Aspirin and other pain relievers are in almost every home, and these poisonings can be severe. When aspirin is prescribed for animals, the dosage must be strictly followed. Too much aspirin can lead to anemia and bleeding stomach ulcers. Ibuprofen and naproxen will cause painful gastrointestinal problems. One 200mg ibuprofen tablet is toxic to a small dog.

Never give acetaminophen to a cat or dog. The drug affect cats oxygen in the blood and it produces severe depression. It also produces abdominal pain in dogs. If not quickly eliminated from the body, just two extra-strength tablets in 24 hours will most likely kill a small pet. Clinical signs in cats develop within one or two hours and include excessive salivation, paw and facial swelling, depression, and ash-gray gums. In dogs watch for anorexia, vomiting, depression, and abdominal pain. High doses are usually fatal.

There are neurological poisons found in lawn and garden pesticides, insecticidal aerosols, dips and shampoos products. Signs of toxicity include apprehension, excessive salivation, urination, defecation, vomiting and diarrhea, tremors, seizures, hyper-excitability or depression and pinpoint pupils. If an animal has absorbed enough of any neurological toxin, sudden death may be the only sign.

Coumarins, most recognizable as D-Con, a rat and mouse poison, affect the ability of the blood to clot. Mice that consume the poisoned grain essentially bleed to death. Your pets will be affected the same way, and the severity of the symptoms often depends on the amount ingested. Cats that eat poisoned mice can also become ill if the levels of poison are high enough. If you find an empty box of rat poison bring your pet into the veterinarian immediately. Tell them about the recent exposure so that they can implement the proper monitoring protocols. Additionally, if you see labored breathing, anorexia, nosebleeds, bloody urine or feces and pinpoint hemorrhages on the gums, take your pet to the veterinarian immediately.

Garbage is not often regarded as poisonous. However, toxins are produced by bacteria fermenting the garbage. Rapid and severe signs include vomiting, bloody diarrhea, painful abdominal distention, shivering, shock, and collapse.

How should pets be protected from these poisons? Some very simple rules to follow are:

* Properly dispose of and store all pesticide containers up and out of sight of your pets. Make sure the lids are tight and the containers are undamaged.
* Use cords or locking lids for garbage cans. Put them in a heavy frame to prevent knock-down.
* Keep pets off lawns sprayed with chemicals. Consult with the lawn care company for proper information on drying time and compounds used. Wash pets' feet with mild soap and water if exposed.
* Keep your pets out of vegetable and flower gardens.
* Encase compost piles or use commercially made containers.
* Never assume that a human drug is applicable to an animal unless a veterinarian instructs you to use it.

What is poisonous?
Here is a quick reference guide to the more common house and garden plants and foods that are toxic to most all animals and children. If you have these plants or foods, you need not dispose of them-just keep them away from pets and children. (* substances are especially dangerous and can be fatal).Cardiovascular Toxins
Avocado (leaves, seeds, stem, fruit, skin)* in birds and pocket pets
Azalea (entire rhododendron family)
Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale)*
Bleeding heart*
Castor bean*
Foxglove (Digitalis)*
Hyacinth bulbs*
Japanese pieris*
Mistletoe berries*
Mountain laurel
Rosary Pea*
Tobacco Products

Gastrointestinal Toxins
Avocado (leaves, seeds, stem, fruit, skin) in dogs
Amaryllis bulb*
Azalea (entire rhododendron family)
Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale)*
Bird of Paradise
Bulbs (most kinds)
Buttercup (Ranunculus)
Castor bean*
Chocolate *
Chrysanthemum (a natural source of pyrethrins)
Crocus bulb
Croton (Codiaeum species)
Cyclamen bulb
Dumb cane (Dieffenbachia)*
Elephant’s ear
English ivy (All Hedera species of ivy)
Hyacinth bulbs
Holly berries
Iris corms
Lily (bulbs of most species)
Macadamia nuts
Mistletoe berries
Narcissus, daffodil (Narcissus)
Pencil cactus/plant
Potato (leaves and stem)
Rosary Pea*
Spurge (Euphorbia species)
Tomatoes (leaves and stem)

Respiratory Toxin
Chinese sacred or heavenly bamboo*
English ivy
Neurological Toxins
Alcohol (all beverages, ethanol, methanol, isopropyl)
Amaryllis bulb*
Azalea (entire rhododendron family)
Bleeding heart*
Castor bean*
Choke cherry, unripe berries*
Chrysanthemum (natural source of pyrethrins)
Crocus bulb
Delphinium, larkspur, monkshood*
Jimson weed*
Lupine species
Macadamia nuts
Marijuana (Cannabis)*
Morning glory*
Moldy foods
Tobacco products
Potato (leaves and stem)
Tomatoes (leaves and stem)

Kidney/Organ Failure Toxins
Amanita mushrooms
Asiatic lily
Calla lily*
Castor beans
Day lily
Elephant’s ear
Easter lily
Rhubarb leaves*
Star-gazer Lilly

Toxins that affect the blood

If you suspect your animal may have ingested any of the substances on this list or if your pet shows any abnormal behavior (vomiting, diarrhea, staggering, etc), you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Take a sample of the suspected toxin and its packaging with you to the veterinarian.

Individual allergies aside, many fruits are safe and healthy for your 4legged.
I love apples. I get them peeled, cored and chilled. YUMMMM.
If you are still nervous.... read this:
How to Feed a Dog Fruits and Vegetables |

Momma wants you to know that we get fruitsicles with no sugar or additives and many times they are home made. SO.... RELAX and SHARE!!!!! Oh make sure it is healthy for yourself as well. :)



rocky-dog said...

Yike Silvie -- that looked like a really big list -- how is mama going to remember all of that stuff (she's getting to be a bit forgetful these days!) But she told me she is going to make me some sweet potato snackies this week. She says the ones that she's been buying come from someplace called China and that they don't always make safe food. I mean really now, why would they not want to make safe food? Who would want to eat not-safe food (hmm, on the other hand sometimes the mama makes me stop eating stuff in the yard that she says isn't safe either). So now she is looking for recipes on how to make my own safe dried sweet potatoes. Yummmmm, your pawpal -- Rocky-dog

rocky-dog said...

Silvie, mama said that you momma has some recipes for making dehydrated chewies. Could my mama get that information from you momma? Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting some good homemade chewies this summer


silvieon4 said...

That blog entry will tell you step by step what do do. You can use any meat product, or sweet potatoes, or carrots or regular potatoes, peel, slice, bake at very low temps until crisp. Momma makes a face when you say China. Good luck!

bichonpawz said...

VERY good information and thanks so much for putting it out there...also Grapes are poisonous and xylitol...found in sugarless gum and mints is fatal in bichons!!

Honeygo Beasley said...

I keep my Chloe's can-have "people" foods to a very limited few because of the problem with bladder stones and high oxalate foods are prohibited for her breed. (73% of calcium oxalate patients are male. This stone type is unusual in females. Breeds at especially high risk include: miniature schnauzers, Lhasa Apsos, Yorkshire terriers, miniature poodles, shih tzus, and Bichon frises. Most cases occur in dogs between ages 5 and 12 years of age.) For more about high-oxalate foods to avoid, see this link.

GREAT post! Thanks, Silvie. Always good stuff on your blog. Either very entertaining OR very informative OR both!

silvieon4 said...

Honeygo- please check your water. Know that if you are providing Chloe with filtered water, unfortunately you are also making it easier for her body to absorb oxolate. I know it sounds crazy, but : "Does drinking water (tap water, spring water, distilled water) contain oxalate?

Water is not a dietary source of oxalate unless the water has come in contact with high-oxalate plants (e.g., water that high-oxalate plants have been cooked in).

Hard water (which contains calcium and magnesium) is likely to exert a beneficial effect with respect to oxalate absorption because these minerals will tie up much of the oxalate consumed in the diet within the gastrointestinal tract, thereby decreasing oxalate absorption. Less oxalate absorption translates to less oxalate gaining access to various tissues within the body."
Imagine my shock when I found out I was NOT helping with filtered water!!!!

silvieon4 said...

OHH ALSO Honeygo add baking soda to Chloe's diet at about 1/16-1/4 teaspoon per meal, well mixed into the meal, will often keep the pH in the neutral to alkaline range. ( On this page is also information on how to make your own homemade diet.