OK, we love these, but we do only get a small cracker as a treat, because the momma is
cheap, calorically budget minded, stingy and scared poopless of auntie Robin, mindful of auntie Robin's advice, unable to handle any sort of guilt, basically conscious of our health requirements to the point of being neurotic fastidious. [JD I am trying! OMD Nobody wants her POed... but there has to be some truth, no?]
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Place the rolled oats into a blender or the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse several times to grind them into coarse flour. Stir the oat flour together with whole wheat flour, salt, honey, and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour in the water and olive oil, and mix to form a soft dough. Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, and roll out 1/8-inch thick. Using a knife, partially slice through the dough in desired shapes. She uses a pizza cutter to do this. She also uses a docker to "dock the dough, but a fork will punch just as many holes, so go at it.
- Bake in the preheated oven until just barely brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool completely on baking sheet before breaking along score lines into individual crackers.
- The cinnamon can easily be replaced with many different seasonings to make different flavors. Some of the different types I've tried: garlic parmiggiano reggiano; fleur de sel, flaked salt; and garlic pepper, oregano, ... etc...I love them spicy, but the other two four leggeds around here.... are less inclined to the charms of pepper, be it red, black or white. Freaks.'vie